Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun result has 4 senses
- consequence, effect, outcome, result, event, issue, upshot - a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon; "the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"; "his decision had depressing consequences for business"; "he acted very wise after the event"
--1 is a kind of phenomenon
--1 has particulars:
| ||offspring, materialization, materialisation; aftereffect; aftermath, wake, backwash; bandwagon effect; brisance; butterfly effect; by-product, byproduct; change; coattails effect; Coriolis effect; dent; domino effect; harvest; impact, wallop; influence; knock-on effect; outgrowth, branch, offshoot, offset; product; placebo effect; position effect; repercussion, reverberation; response; side effect, fallout; spillover|
- solution, answer, result, resolution, solvent - a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem; "they were trying to find a peaceful solution"; "the answers were in the back of the book"; "he computed the result to four decimal places"
--2 is a kind of statement
--2 has particulars: denouement
- result, resultant, final result, outcome, termination - something that results; "he listened for the results on the radio"
--3 is a kind of ending, conclusion, finish
--3 has particulars:
- resultant role, result - the semantic role of the noun phrase whose referent exists only by virtue of the activity denoted by the verb in the clause
--4 is a kind of semantic role, participant role
Verb result has 2 senses
- result, ensue - issue or terminate (in a specified way, state, etc.); end; "result in tragedy"
--1 is one way to prove, turn out, turn up
- leave, result, lead - result in; "The water left a mark on the silk dress"; "Her blood left a stain on the napkin"
--2 is one way to bring about
Something ----s something