Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun branch has 6 senses
- branch, subdivision, arm - an administrative division of some larger or more complex organization; "a branch of Congress"
--1 is a kind of division
--1 has particulars:
- branch - a division of a stem, or secondary stem arising from the main stem of a plant
--2 is a kind of stalk, stem
--2 has part: bark
--2 has particulars:
- branch, fork, leg, ramification - a part of a forked or branching shape; "he broke off one of the branches"; "they took the south fork"
--3 is a kind of subfigure
--3 is a part of furcation, forking
--3 has particulars: bifurcation; brachium
- outgrowth, branch, offshoot, offset - a natural consequence of development
--4 is a kind of consequence, effect, outcome, result, event, issue, upshot
- branch - a stream or river connected to a larger one
--5 is a kind of stream, watercourse
--5 has particulars: billabong; distributary; feeder, tributary, affluent
- arm, branch, limb - any projection that is thought to resemble an arm; "the arm of the record player"; "an arm of the sea"; "a branch of the sewer"
--6 is a kind of projection
Verb branch has 2 senses
- ramify, branch - grow and send out branches or branch-like structures; "these plants ramify early and get to be very large"
--1 is one way to grow
- branch, ramify, fork, furcate, separate - divide into two or more branches so as to form a fork; "The road forks"
--2 is one way to diverge