Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun appearance has 6 senses
- appearance, visual aspect - outward or visible aspect of a person or thing
--1 is a kind of quality
--1 has particulars:
| ||agerasia; look; view; color, colour; complexion, skin condition; impression, effect; perspective, linear perspective; phase; vanishing point; superficies; format; form, shape, cast; persona, image; semblance, gloss, color, colour; face; countenance, visage; hairiness; hairlessness; beauty; ugliness; disfigurement, disfiguration, deformity; homeliness, plainness; blemish, defect, mar; stain, discoloration, discolouration; plainness; ornateness, elaborateness; decorativeness; etiolation|
- appearance - the event of coming into sight
--2 is a kind of happening, occurrence, natural event
--2 has particulars:
- appearance, appearing, coming into court - formal attendance (in court or at a hearing) of a party in an action
--3 is a kind of attendance, attending
- appearance - a mental representation; "I tried to describe his appearance to the police"
--4 is a kind of representation, mental representation, internal representation
--4 has particulars: illusion, semblance; three-D, 3-D, 3D; front
- appearance - the act of appearing in public view; "the rookie made a brief appearance in the first period"; "it was Bernhardt's last appearance in America"
--5 is a kind of arrival
Antonyms: disappearance, disappearing
--5 has particulars: apparition; emergence, emersion; reappearance, return
- appearance, show - pretending that something is the case in order to make a good impression; "they try to keep up appearances"; "that ceremony is just for show"
--6 is a kind of pretense, pretence, pretending, simulation, feigning