Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun decline has 4 senses
- decline, diminution - change toward something smaller or lower
--1 is a kind of decrease, decrement
--1 has particulars:
- decline, declination - a condition inferior to an earlier condition; a gradual falling off from a better state
--2 is a kind of condition, status
Antonyms: improvement, melioration
--2 has particulars: neglect, disuse; twilight; wreck
- decay, decline - a gradual decrease; as of stored charge or current
--3 is a kind of decrease, decrement
--3 has particulars: exponential decay, exponential return
- descent, declivity, fall, decline, declination, declension, downslope - a downward slope or bend
--4 is a kind of slope, incline, side
--4 has particulars: downhill; steep
Verb decline has 7 senses
- worsen, decline - grow worse; "Conditions in the slum worsened"
--1 is one way to change state, turn
The stock market is going to decline
The business is going to decline
- refuse, reject, pass up, turn down, decline - refuse to accept; "He refused my offer of hospitality"
They decline the money
- refuse, decline - show unwillingness towards; "he declined to join the group on a hike"
--3 is one way to react, respond
They decline to move
- decline, go down, wane - grow smaller; "Interest in the project waned"
--4 is one way to decrease, diminish, lessen, fall
- decline - go down; "The roof declines here"
--5 is one way to drop
Something is ----ing PP
- decline, slump, correct - go down in value; "the stock market corrected"; "prices slumped"
--6 is one way to descend, fall, go down, come down
- decline - inflect for number, gender, case, etc., "in many languages, speakers decline nouns, pronouns, and adjectives"
--7 is one way to inflect
Somebody ----s something