Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun car has 5 senses
- car, auto, automobile, machine, motorcar - 4-wheeled motor vehicle; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine; "he needs a car to get to work"
--1 is a kind of motor vehicle, automotive vehicle
--1 has parts:
--1 has particulars:
| ||accelerator, accelerator pedal, gas pedal, gas, throttle, gun; air bag; auto accessory; automobile engine; automobile horn, car horn, motor horn, horn, hooter; buffer, fender; bumper; car door; car mirror; car seat; car window; fender, wing; first gear, first, low gear, low; floorboard; gasoline engine; glove compartment; grille, radiator grille; high gear, high; hood, bonnet, cowl, cowling; luggage compartment, automobile trunk, trunk; rear window; reverse; roof; running board; stabilizer bar, anti-sway bar; sunroof, sunshine-roof; tail fin, tailfin, fin; third gear, third; window|
| ||ambulance; beach wagon, station wagon, wagon, beach waggon, station waggon, waggon; bus, jalopy, heap; cab, hack, taxi, taxicab; compact, compact car; convertible; coupe; cruiser, police cruiser, patrol car, police car, prowl car, squad car; electric, electric automobile, electric car; gas guzzler; hardtop; hatchback; horseless carriage; hot rod, hot-rod; jeep, landrover; limousine, limo; loaner; minicar; minivan; Model T; pace car; racer, race car, racing car; roadster, runabout, two-seater; sedan; sports car, sport car; sport utility, sport utility vehicle, S.U.V.; Stanley Steamer; stock car; subcompact, subcompact car; touring car, phaeton, tourer|
- car, railcar, railway car, railroad car - a wheeled vehicle adapted to the rails of railroad; "three cars had jumped the rails"
--2 is a kind of wheeled vehicle
--2 is a member of train, railroad train
--2 has parts: suspension, suspension system
--2 has particulars:
- cable car, car - a conveyance for passengers or freight on a cable railway; "they took a cable car to the top of the mountain"
--3 is a kind of compartment
--3 is a part of cable railway, funicular, funicular railway
- car, gondola - car suspended from an airship and carrying personnel and cargo and power plant
--4 is a kind of compartment
--4 is a part of airship, dirigible
- car, elevator car - where passengers ride up and down; "the car was on the top floor"
--5 is a kind of compartment
--5 is a part of elevator, lift