Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun gas has 6 senses
- gas - the state of matter distinguished from the solid and liquid states by: relatively low density and viscosity; relatively great expansion and contraction with changes in pressure and temperature; the ability to diffuse readily; and the spontaneous tendency to become distributed uniformly throughout any container
--1 is a kind of state of matter, state
- gas - a fluid in the gaseous state having neither independent shape nor volume and being able to expand indefinitely
--2 is a kind of fluid
--2 has particulars:
| ||atmosphere; noble gas, inert gas, argonon; chlorine, Cl, atomic number 17; fluorine, F, atomic number 9; hydrogen, H, atomic number 1; nitrogen, N, atomic number 7; oxygen, O, atomic number 8; butane; propane; afterdamp; firedamp; arsine; nitrogen dioxide; nitric oxide; blow gas, blowing gas; butylene, butene; cyanogen; exhaust, exhaust fumes, fumes; air; compressed gas; ethylene, ethene; producer gas, air gas; formaldehyde, methanal; greenhouse gas, greenhouse emission; liquefied petroleum gas, bottled gas; water gas; ideal gas, perfect gas; inhalant; methane; ozone; phosgene; phosphine; poison gas; propylene, propene; mephitis; sewer gas; sublimate; sulfur dioxide, sulphur dioxide; tear gas, teargas, lacrimator, lachrymator|
- gasoline, gasolene, gas, petrol - a volatile flammable mixture of hydrocarbons (hexane and heptane and octane etc.) derived from petroleum; used mainly as a fuel in internal-combustion engines
--3 is a kind of fuel; hydrocarbon
--3 is a substance of gasohol
--3 has particulars: leaded gasoline; napalm; unleaded gasoline
- flatulence, flatulency, gas - a state of excessive gas in the alimentary canal
--4 is a kind of physiological state, physiological condition
- accelerator, accelerator pedal, gas pedal, gas, throttle, gun - a pedal that controls the throttle valve; "he stepped on the gas"
--5 is a kind of pedal, treadle, foot pedal, foot lever
--5 is a part of
- natural gas, gas - a fossil fuel in the gaseous state; used for cooking and heating homes
--6 is a kind of fossil fuel
--6 has substances: methane
Verb gas has 2 senses
- gas - attack with gas; subject to gas fumes; "The despot gassed the rebellious tribes"
--1 is one way to attack, assail
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
- boast, tout, swash, shoot a line, brag, gas, blow, bluster, vaunt, gasconade - show off
--2 is one way to overstate, exaggerate, overdraw, hyperbolize, hyerbolise, magnify, amplify
Somebody ----s PP
Somebody ----s that CLAUSE
Somebody ----s to somebody