Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun gun has 7 senses
- gun - a weapon that discharges a missile at high velocity (especially from a metal tube or barrel)
--1 is a kind of weapon, arm, weapon system
--1 has parts:
--1 has particulars:
| ||action, action mechanism; barrel, gun barrel; cartridge ejector, ejector; cartridge extractor, cartridge remover, extractor; cartridge holder, cartridge clip, clip, magazine; firing chamber, gun chamber; gunlock, firing mechanism; gun muzzle, muzzle; gunsight, gun-sight; gun trigger, trigger; safety catch, safety lock; stock, gunstock|
| ||air gun, airgun, air rifle; antiaircraft, antiaircraft gun, flak, flack, pom-pom, ack-ack, ack-ack gun; breechloader; cannon; cannon; firearm, piece, small-arm; gas gun; minute gun; Quaker gun; set gun, spring gun; whaling gun|
- artillery, heavy weapon, gun, ordnance - large but transportable armament
--2 is a kind of armament
--2 is a part of battery
--2 has parts: stock, gunstock
--2 has particulars:
- gunman, gun - a person who shoots a gun (as regards their ability)
--3 is a kind of shot, shooter
- gunman, gunslinger, hired gun, gun, gun for hire, triggerman, hit man, hitman, torpedo, shooter - a professional killer who uses a gun
--4 is a kind of murderer, liquidator, manslayer
- grease-gun, gun - a hand-operated pump that resembles a gun; forces grease into parts of a machine
--5 is a kind of pump
- accelerator, accelerator pedal, gas pedal, gas, throttle, gun - a pedal that controls the throttle valve; "he stepped on the gas"
--6 is a kind of pedal, treadle, foot pedal, foot lever
--6 is a part of
- gun - the discharge of a gun as signal or as a salute in military ceremonies; "a twenty gun salute"
--7 is a kind of discharge, firing, firing off