Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective high has 7 senses
- high - greater than normal in degree or intensity or amount; "a high temperature"; "a high price"; "the high point of his career"; "high risks"; "has high hopes"; "the river is high"; "he has a high opinion of himself"
Antonyms: low, debased, devalued, degraded, depressed, down, low-level, poor, reduced, rock-bottom
- high - (literal meanings) being at or having a relatively great or specific elevation or upward extension (sometimes used in combinations like `knee-high'); "a high mountain"; "high ceilings"; "high buildings"; "a high forehead"; "a high incline"; "a foot high"
Antonyms: low, deep, low-level, low-lying, lowset, low-set, nether, under, squat, underslung
- eminent, high - standing above others in quality or position; "people in high places"; "the high priest"; "eminent members of the community"
Antonym: inferior (indirect, via superior)
- high, high-pitched - used of sounds and voices; high in pitch or frequency
Antonyms: low, low-pitched, alto, contralto, baritone, bass, deep, contrabass, double-bass, throaty
- high, in high spirits - happy and excited and energetic
Antonym: dejected (indirect, via elated)
- gamey, gamy, high - used of the smell of game beginning to taint
Antonym: fragrant (indirect, via malodorous)
- high, mellow - slightly and pleasantly intoxicated from alcohol or a drug (especially marijuana)
Antonym: sober (indirect, via intoxicated)
Adverbial high has 4 senses
- high, high up - at a great altitude; "he climbed high on the ladder"
- high - in or to a high position, amount, or degree; "prices have gone up far too high"
- high, richly, luxuriously - in a rich manner; "he lives high"
- high - far up toward the source; "he lives high up the river"
Noun high has 7 senses
- high - a lofty level or position or degree; "summer temperatures reached an all-time high"
--1 is a kind of degree, grade, level
- high, high pressure - an air mass of higher than normal pressure; "the east coast benefits from a Bermuda high"
--2 is a kind of air mass
--2 is a part of anticyclone
- high - a state of sustained elation; "I'm on a permanent high these days"
--3 is a kind of elation
Antonyms: low spirits
- high - a state of altered consciousness induced by alcohol or narcotics; "they took drugs to get a high on"
--4 is a kind of elation
- high, heights - a high place; "they stood on high and observed the coutryside"; "he doesn't like heights"
--5 is a kind of topographic point, place, spot
- senior high school, senior high, high, highschool, high school - a public secondary school usually including grades 9 through 12; "he goes to the neighborhood highschool"
--6 is a kind of secondary school, lyceum, lycee, Gymnasium, middle school
- high gear, high - a forward gear with a gear ratio giving high vehicle velocity for a given engine speed
--7 is a kind of gear, gear mechanism
--7 is a part of car, auto, automobile, machine, motorcar
--7 has particulars: overdrive