Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun toy has 4 senses
- plaything, toy - an artifact designed to be played with
--1 is a kind of artifact, artefact
--1 has particulars:
| ||ball; balloon; cockhorse; doll, dolly; dollhouse, doll's house; Frisbee; hobby, hobbyhorse, rocking horse; hula-hoop; jack-in-the-box; jacks, jackstones; jungle gym; jumping jack; kaleidoscope; kite; Lego, Lego set; Meccano, Meccano set; pea shooter; pinata; playhouse, wendy house; pogo stick; popgun; puzzle; rattle; sandbox, sandpile; seesaw, teeter-totter, teeterboard, tilting board, dandle board; slide; slingshot, sling, catapult; stick horse; swing; teddy, teddy bear; top, whirligig, teetotum, spinning top; train set; water pistol, water gun, squirt gun, squirter; yo-yo|
- toy - a nonfunctional replica of something else (frequently used as a modifier); "a toy stove"
--2 is a kind of replica, replication, reproduction
- miniature, toy - copy that reproduces something in greatly reduced size
--3 is a kind of copy
- toy dog, toy - any of several breeds of very small dogs kept purely as pets
--4 is a kind of dog, domestic dog, Canis familiaris
--4 has particulars:
Verb toy has 3 senses
- dally, toy, play, flirt - behave carelessly or indifferently; "Play about with a young girl's affection"
--1 is one way to act, move
Somebody ----s PP
- toy, fiddle, diddle, play - manipulate manually or in one's mind or imagination; "She played nervously with her wedding ring"; "Don't fiddle with the screws"; "He played with the idea of running for the Senate"
--2 is one way to manipulate
Somebody ----s PP
- play, toy - engage in an activity as if it were a game rather than take it seriously; "They played games on their opponents"; "play the stockmarket"; "play with her feelings"; "toy with an idea"
--3 is one way to act, behave, do
Somebody ----s something