Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun dog has 7 senses
- dog, domestic dog, Canis familiaris - a member of the genus Canis (probably descended from the common wolf) that has been domesticated by man since prehistoric times; occurs in many breeds; "the dog barked all night"
--1 is a kind of canine, canid
--1 is a member of Canis, genus Canis; pack
--1 has parts: flag
--1 has particulars:
| ||pooch, doggie, doggy, barker, bow-wow; cur, mongrel, mutt; lapdog; toy dog, toy; hunting dog; working dog; dalmatian, coach dog, carriage dog; basenji; pug, pug-dog; Leonberg; Newfoundland; Great Pyrenees; spitz; griffon, Brussels griffon, Belgian griffon; corgi, Welsh corgi; poodle, poodle dog; Mexican hairless|
- frump, dog - a dull unattractive unpleasant girl or woman; "she got a reputation as a frump"; "she's a real dog"
--2 is a kind of unpleasant woman, disagreeable woman
- dog - informal term for a man; "you lucky dog"
--3 is a kind of chap, fellow, feller, lad, gent, fella, blighter, cuss
- cad, bounder, blackguard, dog, hound, heel - someone who is morally reprehensible; "you dirty dog"
--4 is a kind of villain, scoundrel
--4 has particulars: perisher
- frank, frankfurter, hotdog, hot dog, dog, wiener, wienerwurst, weenie - a smooth-textured sausage of minced beef or pork usually smoked; often served on a bread roll
--5 is a kind of sausage
--5 is a part of hotdog, hot dog, red hot
--5 has particulars: Vienna sausage
- pawl, detent, click, dog - a hinged catch that fits into a notch of a ratchet to move a wheel forward or prevent it from moving backward
--6 is a kind of catch, stop
--6 is a part of ratchet, rachet, ratch
- andiron, firedog, dog, dog-iron - metal supports for logs in a fireplace; "the andirons were too hot to touch"
--7 is a kind of support