Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun pain has 5 senses
- pain, hurting - a symptom of some physical hurt or disorder; "the patient developed severe pain and distension"
--1 is a kind of symptom
--1 has particulars:
| ||ache, aching; agony, suffering, excruciation; arthralgia; burn, burning; causalgia; colic, intestinal colic; chest pain; chiralgia; distress; dysmenorrhea; glossalgia, glossodynia; growing pains; hemorrhoid, haemorrhoid, piles; keratalgia; labor pain; mastalgia; melagra; meralgia; metralgia; myalgia, myodynia; nephralgia; neuralgia, neuralgy; odynophagia; orchidalgia; pang; pang, sting; photalgia, photophobia; pleurodynia, pleuralgia, costalgia; podalgia; proctalgia; referred pain; renal colic; smart, smarting; sting, stinging; stitch; tenderness, soreness; thermalgesia; throb; torture, torment; ulalgia; urodynia|
- pain, painfulness - emotional distress; a fundamental feeling that people try to avoid; "the pain of loneliness"
--2 is a kind of feeling
Antonyms: pleasure, pleasance
--2 has particulars:
- pain, painful sensation - a somatic sensation of acute discomfort; "as the intensity increased the sensation changed from tickle to pain"
--3 is a kind of somesthesia, somaesthesia, somatesthesia, somatic sensation
--3 has particulars: mittelschmerz; phantom limb pain; twinge
- pain, pain in the neck, nuisance - a bothersome annoying person; "that kid is a terrible pain"
--4 is a kind of unpleasant person, disagreeable person
- annoyance, bother, botheration, pain, infliction, pain in the neck, pain in the ass - something or someone that causes trouble; a source of unhappiness; "washing dishes was a nuisance before we got a dish washer"; "a bit of a bother"; "he's not a friend, he's an infliction"
--5 is a kind of negative stimulus
--5 has particulars: nuisance; irritant, thorn; plague