Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun torment has 6 senses
- torture, torment - unbearable physical pain
--1 is a kind of pain, hurting
- anguish, torment, torture - extreme mental distress
--2 is a kind of distress, hurt, suffering
- agony, torment, torture - intense feelings of suffering; acute mental or physical pain; "an agony of doubt"; "the torments of the damned"
--3 is a kind of suffering, hurt
- harassment, torment - a feeling of intense annoyance caused by being tormented; "so great was his harassment that he wanted to destroy his tormentors"
--4 is a kind of annoyance, chafe, vexation
- curse, torment - a severe affliction
--5 is a kind of affliction
- badgering, worrying, torment, bedevilment - the act of harassing someone
--6 is a kind of harassment, molestation
Verb torment has 3 senses
- torment, torture, excruciate, rack - torment emotionally or mentally
--1 is one way to pain, anguish, hurt
The bad news will torment him
- torment, rag, bedevil, crucify, dun, frustrate - treat cruelly; "The children tormented the stuttering teacher"
--2 is one way to harass, hassle, harry, chivy, chivvy, chevy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
- torture, excruciate, torment - subject to torture; "The sinners will be tormented in Hell, according to the Bible"
--3 is one way to injure, wound
They want to torment the prisoners