Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective smart has 5 senses
- smart - showing mental alertness and calculation and resourcefulness
Antonyms: stupid, anserine, dopy, dopey, foolish, goosey, goosy, gooselike, blockheaded, boneheaded, fatheaded, loggerheaded, thick, thickheaded, thick-skulled, wooden-headed, cloddish, doltish, dense, dim, dull, dumb, obtuse, slow, gaumless, gormless, lumpish, lumpen, unthinking, nitwitted, senseless, soft-witted, witless, yokel-like
- chic, smart, voguish - elegant and stylish; "chic elegance"; "a smart new dress"; "a suit of voguish cut"
Antonyms: styleless, unstylish (indirect, via stylish)
- bright, smart - characterized by quickness and ease in learning; "some children are brighter in one subject than another"; "smart children talk earlier than the average"
Antonyms: unintelligent, stupid (indirect, via intelligent)
- fresh, impertinent, impudent, overbold, smart, saucy, sassy - improperly forward or bold; "don't be fresh with me"; "impertinent of a child to lecture a grownup"; "an impudent boy given to insulting strangers"
Antonym: backward (indirect, via forward)
- dapper, dashing, jaunty, natty, raffish, rakish, smart, spiffy, snappy, spruce - marked by smartness in dress and manners; "a dapper young man"; "a jaunty red hat"
Antonyms: unfashionable, unstylish (indirect, via fashionable)
Noun smart has 1 sense
- smart, smarting - a kind of pain such as that caused by a wound or a burn or a sore
--1 is a kind of pain, hurting