Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun letter has 5 senses
- letter, missive - a written message addressed to a person or organization; "mailed an indignant letter to the editor"
--1 is a kind of text, textual matter; document
--1 is a part of correspondence; mail
--1 has parts:
--1 has particulars:
- letter, letter of the alphabet, alphabetic character - the conventional characters of the alphabet used to represent speech; "his grandmother taught him his letters"
--2 is a kind of character, grapheme, graphic symbol
--2 is a part of spelling
--2 is a member of alphabet
--2 has particulars:
- letter - a strictly literal interpretation (as distinct from the intention); "he followed instructions to the letter"; "he obeyed the letter of the law"
--3 is a kind of literal interpretation
- letter, varsity letter - an award earned by participation in a school sport; "he won letters in three sports"
--4 is a kind of award, accolade, honor, honour, laurels
- letter - owner who lets another person use something (housing usually) for hire
--5 is a kind of owner, proprietor