Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun labor has 7 senses
- labor, labour, toil - productive work (especially physical work done for wages); "his labor did not require a great deal of skill"
--1 is a kind of work
--1 has particulars:
| ||roping; corvee; drudgery, plodding, grind, donkeywork; effort, elbow grease, exertion, travail, sweat; hunt, hunting; hackwork; haymaking; manual labor, manual labour; overwork, overworking; slavery|
- labor, labour, working class, proletariat - a social class comprising those who do manual labor or work for wages; "there is a shortage of skilled labor in this field"
--2 is a kind of class, social class, socio-economic class
--2 has members: proletarian, prole, worker
--2 has particulars: labor force, labor pool
- parturiency, labor, labour, confinement, lying-in, travail, childbed - concluding state of pregnancy; from the onset of labor to the birth of a child; "she was in labor for six hours"
--3 is a kind of parturition, birth, giving birth, birthing
--3 is a part of pregnancy, gestation, maternity
--3 has parts: uterine contraction; effacement; asynclitism, obliquity
--3 has particulars: premature labor, premature labour
- labor movement, trade union movement, labor - an organized attempt by workers to improve their status by united action especially via labor unions (especially the leaders of this movement)
--4 is a kind of reform movement
--4 has parts:
--4 has particulars:
- Labour Party, Labour, Labor Party, Labor - a political party formed in Great Britain in 1900; characterized by the promotion of labor's interests and the socialization of key industries
--5 is a kind of party, political party
--5 has members: Labourite
- Department of Labor, Labor Department, Labor, DoL - the federal department responsible for promoting the working conditions of wage earners in the United States; created in 1913
--6 is a kind of executive department
--6 has parts: Occupational Safety and Health Administration, OSHA
- undertaking, project, task, labor - any piece of work that is undertaken or attempted; "he prepared for great undertakings"
--7 is a kind of work
--7 has particulars:
| ||cinch, breeze, picnic, snap, duck soup, child's play, pushover, walkover, piece of cake; adventure, escapade, risky venture, dangerous undertaking; assignment; baby; enterprise, endeavor, endeavour; labor of love, labour of love; marathon, endurance contest; no-brainer; proposition; tall order, large order; venture; Manhattan Project|
Verb labor has 3 senses
- tug, labor, labour, push, drive - strive and make an effort to reach a goal; "She tugged for years to make a decent living"; "We have to push a little to make the deadline!"; "She is driving away at her doctoral thesis"
--1 is one way to fight, struggle
Somebody ----s to INFINITIVE
- labor, labour, toil, fag, travail, grind, drudge, dig, moil - work hard; "She was digging away at her math homework"; "Lexicographers drudge all day long"
--2 is one way to work, do work
Somebody ----s PP
- labor, labour - undergo the efforts of childbirth
--3 is one way to experience, receive, have, get, undergo