Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun party has 5 senses
- party, political party - an organization to gain political power; "in 1992 Perot tried to organize a third party at the national level"
--1 is a kind of organization, organisation
--1 is a member of political system, form of government
--1 has particulars:
| ||American Labor Party; American Party, Know-Nothing Party; Anti-Masonic Party; Black Panthers; Communist Party; Conservative Party; Constitutional Union Party; Democratic Party; Democratic-Republican Party; Farmer-Labor Party; Federalist Party, American Federalist Party, Federal Party; Free Soil Party; Green Party; Greenback Party; Kuomintang, Guomindang; Labour Party, Labour, Labor Party, Labor; Liberal Party; Liberty Party; Militant Tendency; National Socialist German Workers' Party, Nazi Party; People's Party, Populist Party; Progressive Party, Bull Moose Party; Prohibition Party; Republican Party, GOP; Social Democratic Party; Socialist Labor Party; Socialist Party; States' Rights Democratic Party, Dixiecrats; war party; Whig Party; third party; opposition|
- party - an occasion on which people can assemble for social interaction and entertainment; "he planned a party to celebrate Bastille Day"
--2 is a kind of affair, occasion, social occasion, function, social function
--2 has particulars:
- party, company - a band of people associated temporarily in some activity; "they organized a party to search for food"; "the company of cooks walked into the kitchen"
--3 is a kind of set, circle, band, lot
--3 has particulars:
- party - a group of people gathered together for pleasure; "she joined the party after dinner"
--4 is a kind of social gathering, social affair
--4 has particulars:
| ||shindig, shindy; dance; masquerade, masque, mask; dinner, dinner party; reception; open house; housewarming; soiree; garden party, lawn party, fete champetre; shower; stag party, smoker; hen party; slumber party; sociable, social, mixer; wedding, wedding party; whist drive; reunion|
- party - a person involved in legal proceedings; "the party of the first part"
--5 is a kind of person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, human, soul
--5 has particulars: