Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun engagement has 7 senses
- battle, conflict, fight, engagement - a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war; "Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement"
--1 is a kind of military action, action
--1 is a part of war, warfare
--1 has particulars:
- date, appointment, engagement - a meeting arranged in advance; "she asked how to avoid kissing at the end of a date"
--2 is a kind of meeting, get together
--2 has members: date, escort
--2 has particulars: blind date; double date; tryst, rendezvous
- betrothal, troth, engagement - a mutual promise to marry
--3 is a kind of promise
--3 has particulars: ringing
- employment, engagement - the act of giving someone a job
--4 is a kind of action
--4 has particulars: shape-up; call-back; booking, reservation
- engagement, booking - employment for performers or performing groups that lasts for a limited period of time; "the play had bookings throughout the summer"
--5 is a kind of employment, work
--5 has particulars: gig
- engagement, mesh, meshing, interlocking - contact by fitting together; "the engagement of the clutch"; "the meshing of gears"
--6 is a kind of contact, impinging, striking
- engagement, participation, involvement, involution - the act of sharing in the activities of a group; "the teacher tried to increase his students' engagement in class activities"
--7 is a kind of group action
Antonyms: non-engagement, nonparticipation, non-involvement
--7 has particulars: commitment; intervention, intercession; group participation