Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective associate has 1 sense
- associate - having partial rights and privileges or subordinate status; "an associate member"; "an associate professor"
Antonym: dominant (indirect, via subordinate)
Noun associate has 4 senses
- associate - a person who joins with others in some activity; "he had to consult his associate before continuing"
--1 is a kind of peer, equal, match, compeer
--1 is a member of association
--1 has particulars:
| ||adjunct; affiliate; ally, friend; bedfellow; collaborator, cooperator, partner, pardner; colleague, confrere, fellow; colleague, co-worker, fellow worker, workfellow; member; participant; shipmate; teammate, mate|
- companion, comrade, fellow, familiar, associate - a person who is frequently in the company of another; "drinking companions"; "comrades in arms"
--2 is a kind of friend
--2 has particulars: date, escort; playmate, playfellow; tovarich
- associate - any event that usually accompanies or is closely connected with another; "first was the lightning and then its thunderous associate"
--3 is a kind of accompaniment, concomitant, co-occurrence
- associate degree, associate - a degree granted by a two-year college on successful completion of the undergraduates course of studies
--4 is a kind of academic degree, degree
--4 has particulars:
Verb associate has 3 senses
- associate, tie in, relate, link, colligate, link up, connect - make a logical or causal connection; "I cannot connect these two pieces of evidence in my mind"; "colligate these facts"; "I cannot relate these events at all"
--1 is one way to think, cogitate, cerebrate
Antonyms: decouple, dissociate
Somebody ----s somebody with something
Somebody ----s something with something
- consort, associate, affiliate, assort - keep company with; hang out with; "He associates with strange people"; "She affiliates with her colleagues"
--2 is one way to interact
Somebody ----s PP
- consociate, associate - bring or come into association or action; "The churches consociated to fight their dissolution"
--3 is one way to unite, unify
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody