Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun come on has 2 senses
- bait, come-on, hook, lure, sweetener - anything that serves as an enticement
--1 is a kind of temptation, enticement
- lure, enticement, come-on - qualities that attract by seeming to promise some kind of reward
--2 is a kind of attraction, attractiveness
Verb come on has 5 senses
- come on, come out, turn up, surface, show up - appear or become visible; make a showing; "She turned up at the funeral"; "I hope the list key is going to surface again"
--1 is one way to appear
Something is ----ing PP
Somebody ----s PP
- approach, near, come on, go up, draw near, draw close, come near - move towards; "We were approaching our destination"; "They are drawing near"; "The enemy army came nearer and nearer"
--2 is one way to come, come up
Somebody ----s something
- progress, come on, come along, advance, get on, get along, shape up - develop in a positive way; "He progressed well in school"; "My plants are coming along"; "Plans are shaping up"
--3 is one way to develop
- go on, come up, come on - start running, functioning, or operating; "the lights went on"; "the computer came up"
--4 is one way to start, go, get going
- come on - become available; "water or electricity came on again after the earthquake"
--5 is one way to get down, begin, get, start out, start, set about, set out, commence