Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun approach has 9 senses
- approach, attack, plan of attack - ideas or actions intended to deal with a problem or situation; "his approach to every problem is to draw up a list of pros and cons"; "an attack on inflation"; "his plan of attack was misguided"
--1 is a kind of conceptualization, conceptualisation, formulation
--1 has particulars: avenue
- approach, approaching, coming - the act of drawing spatially closer to something; "the hunter's approach scattered the geese"
--2 is a kind of motion, movement, move
--2 has particulars: access; closing, closure; landing approach; run-up
- access, approach - a way of entering or leaving; "he took a wrong turn on the access to the bridge"
--3 is a kind of way
--3 has particulars: entrance, entranceway, entryway, entry, entree
- approach path, approach, glide path, glide slope - the final path followed by an aircraft as it is landing
--4 is a kind of air lane, flight path, airway, skyway
--4 is a part of traffic pattern, approach pattern, pattern
- approach, approaching - the event of one object coming closer to another
--5 is a kind of movement, motion
- overture, advance, approach, feeler - a tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others; "she rejected his advances"
--6 is a kind of suggestion, proposition, proffer
- approach, approaching, coming - the temporal property of becoming nearer in time; "the approach of winter"
--7 is a kind of timing
- approach - a close approximation; "the nearest approach to genius"
--8 is a kind of similarity
- approach, approach shot - a relatively short golf shot intended to put the ball onto the putting green; "he lost the hole when his approach rolled over the green"
--9 is a kind of golf stroke, golf shot, swing
--9 has particulars: chip, chip shot; pitch, pitch shot
Verb approach has 5 senses
- approach, near, come on, go up, draw near, draw close, come near - move towards; "We were approaching our destination"; "They are drawing near"; "The enemy army came nearer and nearer"
--1 is one way to come, come up
Sam and Sue approach
- border on, approach - come near or verge on, resemble, come nearer in quality, or character; "This borders on discrimination!"; "His playing approaches that of Horowitz"
--2 is one way to approximate, come close
Something ----s something
- set about, go about, approach - begin to deal with; "approach a task"; "go about a difficult problem"; "approach a new project"
--3 is one way to act, move
Somebody ----s VERB-ing
- approach, come near - come near in time; "Winter is approaching"; "approaching old age"
--4 is one way to come, come up
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
Something ----s something
- approach - make advances to someone, usually with a proposal or suggestion; "I was approached by the President to serve as his adviser in foreign matters"
--5 is one way to address, accost, come up to
They approach him to write the letter