Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun progress has 3 senses
- advancement, progress - gradual improvement or growth or development; "advancement of knowledge"; "great progress in the arts"
--1 is a kind of development
--1 has particulars:
- progress, progression, procession, advance, advancement, forward motion, onward motion - the act of moving forward toward a goal
--2 is a kind of motion, movement, move
--2 has particulars:
- progress, progression, advance - a movement forward; "he listened for the progress of the troops"
--3 is a kind of change of location, travel
--3 has particulars: headway, head
Verb progress has 3 senses
- progress, come on, come along, advance, get on, get along, shape up - develop in a positive way; "He progressed well in school"; "My plants are coming along"; "Plans are shaping up"
--1 is one way to develop
Antonyms: regress, retrograde, retrogress
- advance, progress, pass on, move on, march on, go on - move forward, also in the metaphorical sense; "Time marches on"
--2 is one way to travel, go, move, locomote
- build up, work up, build, progress - form or accumulate steadily; "Resistance to the manager's plan built up quickly"; "Pressure is building up at the Indian-Pakistani border"
--3 is one way to develop