Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun trouncing has 2 senses
- thrashing, walloping, debacle, drubbing, slaughter, trouncing, whipping - a sound defeat
--1 is a kind of defeat, licking
- beating, thrashing, licking, drubbing, lacing, trouncing, whacking - the act of inflicting corporal punishment with repeated blows
--2 is a kind of corporal punishment
--2 has particulars: whipping, tanning, flogging, lashing, flagellation
Verb trounce has 3 senses
- flog, welt, whip, lather, lash, slash, strap, trounce - beat severely with a whip or rod; "The teacher often flogged the students"; "The children were severely trounced"
--1 is one way to beat, beat up, work over
They want to trounce the prisoners
- beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish - come out better in a competition, race, or conflict; "Agassi beat Becker in the tennis championship"; "We beat the competition"; "Harvard defeated Yale in the last football game"
--2 is one way to get the better of, overcome, defeat
The fighter managed to trounce his opponent
- call on the carpet, rebuke, rag, trounce, reproof, lecture, reprimand, jaw, dress down, call down, scold, chide, berate, bawl out, remonstrate, chew out, chew up, have words, lambaste, lambast - censure severely or angrily; "The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car"; "The deputy ragged the Prime Minister"; "The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup"
--3 is one way to knock, criticize, criticise, pick apart
Somebody ----s somebody