Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun jaw has 3 senses
- jaw - the part of the skull of a vertebrate that frames the mouth and holds the teeth
--1 is a kind of bone, os
--1 is a part of skull
--1 has parts: alveolar arch; alveolar ridge, gum ridge, alveolar process
--1 has particulars:
- jaw - the bones of the skull that frame the mouth and serve to open it; the bones that hold the teeth
--2 is a kind of feature, lineament
--2 is a part of face, human face
- jaw, jaws - holding device consisting of one or both of the opposing parts of a tool that close to hold an object
--3 is a kind of holding device
--3 is a part of
Verb jaw has 4 senses
- chew the fat, shoot the breeze, chat, confabulate, confab, chitchat, chatter, chaffer, natter, gossip, jaw, claver, visit - talk socially without exchanging too much information; "the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"
--1 is one way to converse, discourse
- yack, jaw, yack away, rattle on, yap away - talk incessantly and tiresomely
--2 is one way to talk, speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbalise
- chew, masticate, manducate, jaw - chew (food); "He jawed his bubble gum"; "Chew your food and don't swallow it!"; "The cows were masticating the grass"
--3 is one way to grate, grind
Somebody ----s something
- call on the carpet, rebuke, rag, trounce, reproof, lecture, reprimand, jaw, dress down, call down, scold, chide, berate, bawl out, remonstrate, chew out, chew up, have words, lambaste, lambast - censure severely or angrily; "The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car"; "The deputy ragged the Prime Minister"; "The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup"
--4 is one way to knock, criticize, criticise, pick apart
Somebody ----s somebody
=> Somebody ----s PP