Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun thrashing has 2 senses
- thrashing, walloping, debacle, drubbing, slaughter, trouncing, whipping - a sound defeat
--1 is a kind of defeat, licking
- beating, thrashing, licking, drubbing, lacing, trouncing, whacking - the act of inflicting corporal punishment with repeated blows
--2 is a kind of corporal punishment
--2 has particulars: whipping, tanning, flogging, lashing, flagellation
Verb thrash has 7 senses
- thrash, thresh, lam, flail - give a thrashing to; beat hard
--1 is one way to beat, beat up, work over
They want to thrash the prisoners
- convulse, thresh, thresh about, thrash, thrash about, slash, toss, jactitate - move or stir about violently; "The feverish patient thrashed around in his bed"
--2 is one way to shake, agitate
- slam dance, slam, mosh, thrash - dance the slam dance
--3 is one way to dance, trip the light fantastic, trip the light fantastic toe
Sam and Sue thrash
- thrash - beat so fast that (the heart's) output starts dropping until (it) does not manage to pump out blood at all
--4 is one way to beat, pound, thump
- thrash - move data into and out of core rather than performing useful computation; "The system is thrashing again!"
--5 is one way to swap
Something is ----ing PP
- thrash, thresh - beat the seeds out of a grain
--6 is one way to beat
Somebody ----s something
- bat, clobber, drub, thrash, lick - beat thoroughly in a competition or fight; "We licked the other team on Sunday!"
--7 is one way to beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish
The fighter managed to thrash his opponent