Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun spirit has 8 senses
- spirit - the vital principle or animating force within living things
--1 is a kind of vital principle, life principle
--1 has particulars: soul, psyche
- spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell - the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people; "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
--2 is a kind of atmosphere, ambiance, ambience
--2 has particulars: Hollywood; Zeitgeist
- spirit - a fundamental emotional and activating principle determining one's character
--3 is a kind of character, fiber, fibre
--3 has particulars:
- spirit, disembodied spirit - any incorporeal supernatural being that can become visible (or audible) to human beings
--4 is a kind of spiritual being, supernatural being
--4 has particulars:
| ||control; evil spirit; banshee; genie, jinni, jinnee, djinni, djinny; familiar, familiar spirit; peri; apparition, phantom, phantasm, phantasma, specter, spectre; presence; numen; python; sylvan, silvan; thunderbird; zombi, zombie, zombi spirit, zombie spirit|
- emotional state, spirit - the state of a person's emotions (especially with regard to pleasure or dejection); "his emotional state depended on her opinion"; "he was in good spirits"; "his spirit rose"
--5 is a kind of emotion
--5 has particulars:
- intent, purport, spirit - the intended meaning of a communication
--6 is a kind of meaning, significance, signification, import
- liveliness, life, spirit, sprightliness - animation and energy in action or expression; "it was a heavy play and the actors tried in vain to give life to it"
--7 is a kind of animation, spiritedness, invigoration, brio, vivification
--7 has particulars:
| ||airiness, delicacy; alacrity, briskness; energy, vigor, vigour, vim; elan; esprit; breeziness, jauntiness; irrepressibility, buoyancy; high-spiritedness; exuberance, enthusiasm, ebullience; pep, peppiness, ginger|
- heart, spirit - an inclination or tendency of a certain kind; "he had a change of heart"
--8 is a kind of disposition, temperament