Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun development has 8 senses
- development - act of improving by expanding or enlarging or refining; "he congratulated them on their development of a plan to meet the emergency"; "they funded research and development"
--1 is a kind of improvement
--1 has particulars:
- development, evolution - a process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage); "the development of his ideas took many years"; "the evolution of Greek civilization"; "the slow development of her skill as a writer"
--2 is a kind of process
--2 has particulars: assibilation; deepening; growth; unfolding, flowering
- development - a recent event that has some relevance for the present situation; "recent developments in Iraq"; "what a revolting development!"
--3 is a kind of change, alteration, modification
--3 has particulars:
- exploitation, development - the act of making some area of land or water more profitable or productive or useful; "the development of Alaskan resources"; "the exploitation of copper deposits"
--4 is a kind of use, usage, utilization, utilisation, employment, exercise
--4 has particulars:
- development - a district that has been developed to serve some purpose; "such land is practical for small park developments"
--5 is a kind of district, territory, territorial dominion, dominion
--5 has particulars: housing development; housing estate
- development - a state in which things are improving; the result of developing (as in the early part of a game of chess); "after he saw the latest development he changed his mind and became a supporter"; "in chess your should take care of your development before moving your queen"
--6 is a kind of improvement, melioration
--6 has particulars: underdevelopment
- growth, growing, maturation, development, ontogeny, ontogenesis - (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level; "he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
--7 is a kind of organic process, biological process
--7 has parts: gastrulation
--7 has particulars:
| ||culture; amelogenesis; angiogenesis; apposition; auxesis; blossoming, flowering, florescence, inflorescence, anthesis, efflorescence; cenogenesis, kenogenesis, caenogenesis, cainogenesis, kainogenesis; cohesion; cytogenesis, cytogeny; foliation, leafing; fructification; gametogenesis; germination, sprouting; infructescence; intussusception; juvenescence; life cycle; masculinization, masculinisation, virilization, virilisation; morphogenesis; myelinization, myelinisation; neurogenesis; palingenesis, recapitulation; proliferation; psychomotor development; psychosexual development; rooting; suppression; teething, dentition, odontiasis; teratogenesis; vegetation|
- development, developing - processing a photosensitive material in order to make an image visible; "the development and printing of his pictures took only two hours"
--8 is a kind of processing
--8 has particulars: underdevelopment