Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun mess has 6 senses
- mess, messiness, muss, mussiness - a state of confusion and disorderliness; "the house was a mess"; "she smoothed the mussiness of the bed"
--1 is a kind of disorderliness, disorder
- fix, hole, jam, mess, muddle, pickle, kettle of fish - informal terms for a difficult situation; "he got into a terrible fix"; "he made a muddle of his marriage"
--2 is a kind of difficulty
--2 has particulars: dog's breakfast, dog's dinner
- mess - soft semiliquid food; "a mess of porridge"
--3 is a kind of nutriment, nourishment, nutrition, sustenance, aliment, alimentation, victuals
- mess - a meal eaten by service personnel
--4 is a kind of meal, repast
- mess, mess hall - a (large) military dining room where service personnel eat or relax
--5 is a kind of dining room, dining-room
--5 has parts: training table
--5 has particulars: officer's mess
- batch, deal, flock, good deal, great deal, hatful, heap, lot, mass, mess, mickle, mint, muckle, peck, pile, plenty, pot, quite a little, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, tidy sum, wad, whole lot, whole slew - (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent; "a batch of letters"; "a deal of trouble"; "a lot of money"; "he made a mint on the stock market"; "it must have cost plenty"
--6 is a kind of large indefinite quantity, large indefinite amount
--6 has particulars: flood, inundation, deluge, torrent