Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun deluge has 3 senses
- flood, inundation, deluge, torrent - an overwhelming number or amount; "a flood of requests"; "a torrent of abuse"
--1 is a kind of batch, deal, flock, good deal, great deal, hatful, heap, lot, mass, mess, mickle, mint, muckle, peck, pile, plenty, pot, quite a little, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, tidy sum, wad, whole lot, whole slew
- downpour, cloudburst, deluge, waterspout, torrent, pelter, soaker - a heavy rain
--2 is a kind of rain, rainfall
- flood, inundation, deluge, alluvion - the rising of a body of water and its overflowing onto normally dry land; "plains fertilized by annual inundations"
--3 is a kind of geological phenomenon
--3 has particulars: debacle; flash flood, flashflood
Verb deluge has 3 senses
- deluge, flood, inundate, swamp - fill quickly beyond capacity; as with a liquid; "the basement was inundated after the storm"; "The images flooded his mind"
--1 is one way to fill, fill up, make full
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s something with something
- overwhelm, deluge, flood out - charge someone with too many tasks
--2 is one way to charge, saddle, burden
Somebody ----s somebody
Somebody ----s somebody with something
- inundate, deluge, submerge - fill or cover completely, usually with water
--3 is one way to flood
The swollen rivers deluge the area with water