Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective iron has 1 sense
- cast-iron, iron - extremely robust; "an iron constitution"
Antonym: frail (indirect, via robust)
Noun iron has 5 senses
- iron, Fe, atomic number 26 - a heavy ductile magnetic metallic element; is silver-white in pure form but readily rusts; used in construction and tools and armament; plays a role in the transport of oxygen by the blood
--1 is a kind of metallic element, metal
--1 is a substance of steel; iron ore
--1 has particulars:
- iron - a golf club that has a relatively narrow metal head
--2 is a kind of golf club, golf-club, club
--2 has particulars:
- iron, irons, chain, chains - metal shackles; for hands or legs
--3 is a kind of shackle, bond, hamper, trammel, trammels
- iron, branding iron - implement used to brand live stock
--4 is a kind of implement
- iron, smoothing iron - home appliance consisting of a flat metal base that is heated and used to smooth cloth
--5 is a kind of home appliance, household appliance
--5 has particulars: flatiron; goffer, gauffer; steam iron; travel iron
Verb iron has 1 sense
- iron, iron out - press and smooth with a heated iron; "press your shirts"
--1 is one way to press
They iron the cape