Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun wedge has 7 senses
- wedge, wedge shape, cuneus - any shape that is triangular in cross section
--1 is a kind of triangle, trigon, trilateral
- bomber, grinder, hero, hero sandwich, hoagie, hoagy, Cuban sandwich, Italian sandwich, poor boy, sub, submarine, submarine sandwich, torpedo, wedge, zep - a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States
--2 is a kind of sandwich
- hacek, wedge - a diacritical mark (an inverted circumflex) placed above certain letters (such as c) to indicate pronunciation
--3 is a kind of diacritical mark, diacritic
- wedge heel, wedge - a heel that is an extension of the sole of the shoe
--4 is a kind of heel
--4 is a part of wedgie
- wedge - (golf) an iron with considerable loft and a broad sole
--5 is a kind of iron
--5 has particulars: pitching wedge; sand wedge
- wedge - something solid that is usable as an inclined plane (shaped like a V) that can be pushed between two things to separate them
--6 is a kind of inclined plane
--6 has particulars:
- chock, wedge - a block of wood used to prevent the sliding or rolling of a heavy object
--7 is a kind of block
--7 has particulars: sprag
Verb wedge has 2 senses
- lodge, wedge, stick, deposit - fix, force, or implant; "lodge a bullet in the table"
--1 is one way to fasten, fix, secure
They wedge the books into the box
- wedge, squeeze, force - squeeze like a wedge into a tight space; "I squeezed myself into the corner"
--2 is one way to move, displace
Somebody ----s somebody PP
Somebody ----s something PP