Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adverbial course has 1 sense
- naturally, of course, course - as might be expected; "naturally, the lawyer sent us a huge bill"
Noun course has 8 senses
- course, course of study, course of instruction, class - education imparted in a series of lessons or class meetings; "he took a course in basket weaving"; "flirting is not unknown in college classes"
--1 is a kind of education, instruction, teaching, pedagogy, educational activity
--1 has parts:
--1 has particulars:
- course, line - a connected series of events or actions or developments; "the government took a firm course"; "historians can only point out those lines for which evidence is available"
--2 is a kind of series
--2 has particulars: stream, flow, current
- course - facility consisting of a circumscribed area of land or water laid out for a sport; "the course had only nine holes"; "the course was less than a mile"
--3 is a kind of facility, installation
--3 has particulars:
- course, course of action - a mode of action; "if you persist in that course you will surely fail"; "once a nation is embarked on a course of action it becomes extremely difficult for any retraction to take place"
--4 is a kind of action
--4 has particulars: blind alley; collision course; way, path, way of life
- path, track, course - a line or route along which something travels or moves; "the hurricane demolished houses in its path"; "the track of an animal"; "the course of the river"
--5 is a kind of line
--5 has particulars:
- course, trend - general line of orientation; "the river takes a southern course"; "the northeastern trend of the coast"
--6 is a kind of direction, way
- course - part of a meal served at one time; "she prepared a three course meal"
--7 is a kind of nutriment, nourishment, nutrition, sustenance, aliment, alimentation, victuals
--7 is a part of meal, repast
--7 has particulars:
- course, row - (construction) a layer of masonry; "a course of bricks"
--8 is a kind of layer, bed
--8 is a part of wall
--8 has particulars: damp-proof course, damp course; row of bricks
Verb course has 3 senses
- course - move swiftly through or over; "ships coursing the Atlantic"
--1 is one way to traverse, track, cover, cross, pass over, get over, get across, cut through, cut across
Somebody ----s something
Something ----s something
- run, flow, feed, course - move along, of liquids; "Water flowed into the cave"; "the Missouri feeds into the Mississippi"
--2 is one way to move
Something is ----ing PP
- course - hunt with hounds; "He often courses hares"
--3 is one way to hunt, run, hunt down, track down
Somebody ----s something