Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun shop has 3 senses
- shop, store - a mercantile establishment for the retail sale of goods or services; "he bought it at a shop on Cape Cod"
--1 is a kind of mercantile establishment, retail store, sales outlet, outlet
--1 has parts: shopfront, storefront
--1 has particulars:
| ||bakery, bakeshop, bakehouse; barbershop; bazaar, bazar; betting shop; bodega; bookshop, bookstore, bookstall; booth; boutique, dress shop; building supply store, building supply house; butcher shop, meat market; canteen; chain store; cleaners, dry cleaners; clothing store, haberdashery, haberdashery store, mens store; commissary; computer store; confectionery, candy store; convenience store; delicatessen, deli, food shop; drugstore, apothecary's shop, chemist's, chemist's shop, pharmacy; florist, florist shop, flower store; gift shop, novelty shop; hardware store, ironmongery; head shop; junk shop; millinery, hat shop; outfitter; package store, liquor store, off-licence; pawnbroker's shop, pawnshop, loan office; perfumery; pet shop; pizzeria, pizza shop, pizza parlor; repair shop, fix-it shop; salon, beauty salon, beauty parlor, beauty parlour, beauty shop; shoe shop, shoe-shop, shoe store; specialty store; thriftshop, second-hand store; tobacco shop, tobacconist shop, tobacconist; toyshop|
- workshop, shop - small workplace where handcrafts or manufacturing are done
--2 is a kind of workplace, work
--2 has particulars:
- shop class, shop - a course of instruction in a trade (as carpentry or electricity); "I built a birdhouse in shop"
--3 is a kind of course, course of study, course of instruction, class
Verb shop has 4 senses
- shop - do one's shopping; "She goes shopping every Friday"
--1 is one way to obtain
Somebody ----s PP
- patronize, patronise, shop, shop at, buy at, frequent, sponsor - do one's shopping at; do business with; be a customer or client of
--2 is one way to support, back up
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
- shop, browse - shop around; not necessarily buying; "I don't need help, I'm just browsing"
--3 is one way to search, seek, look for
In the summer they like to go out and shop
- denounce, tell on, betray, give away, rat, grass, shit, shop, snitch, stag - give away information about somebody; "He told on his classmate who had cheated on the exam"
--4 is one way to inform
Somebody ----s somebody
=> Somebody ----s PP