Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Adjective tough has 8 senses
- tough - not given to gentleness or sentimentality; "a tough character"
Antonyms: tender, caring, protective, sentimental
- rugged, tough - very difficult; severely testing stamina or resolution; "a rugged competitive examination"; "the rugged conditions of frontier life"; "the competition was tough"; "it's a tough life"; "it was a tough job"
Antonym: easy (indirect, via difficult)
- tough, toughened - physically toughened; "the tough bottoms of his feet"
Antonyms: tender, untoughened, delicate, soft
- sturdy, tough - substantially made or constructed; "sturdy steel shelves"; "sturdy canvas"; "a tough all-weather fabric"; "some plastics are as tough as metal"
Antonym: delicate (indirect, via rugged)
- ruffianly, tough - violent and lawless; "the more ruffianly element"; "tough street gangs"
Antonym: nonviolent (indirect, via violent)
- bad, tough - feeling physical discomfort or pain (`tough' is occasionally used colloquially for `bad'); "my throat feels bad"; "she felt bad all over"; "he was feeling tough after a restless night"
Antonyms: comfortable, comfy (indirect, via uncomfortable)
- tough - tough to cut or chew
Antonyms: tender, chewable, cuttable, crisp, crispy, short, tenderized, tenderised, flaky, flakey
- hard, tough - unfortunate or hard to bear; "had hard luck"; "a tough break"
Antonym: good (indirect, via bad)
Noun tough has 3 senses
- street fighter, tough - someone who learned to fight in the streets rather than being formally trained in the sport of boxing
--1 is a kind of combatant, battler, belligerent, fighter, scrapper
- hood, hoodlum, goon, punk, thug, tough, toughie, strong-armer - an aggressive and violent young criminal
--2 is a kind of criminal, felon, crook, outlaw, malefactor
- bully, tough, hooligan, ruffian, roughneck, rowdy, yob, yobo, yobbo - a cruel and brutal fellow
--3 is a kind of attacker, aggressor, assailant, assaulter
--3 has particulars: