Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Adjective delicate has 7 senses
- delicate - exquisitely fine and subtle and pleasing; susceptible to injury; "a delicate violin passage"; "delicate china"; "a delicate flavor"; "the delicate wing of a butterfly"
Antonyms: rugged, hardy, knockabout, sturdy, tough, robust
- delicate - marked by great skill especially in meticulous technique; "a surgeon's delicate touch"
Antonym: unskilled (indirect, via skilled)
- delicate, fragile, frail - easily broken or damaged or destroyed; "a kite too delicate to fly safely"; "fragile porcelain plates"; "fragile old bones"; "a frail craft"
Antonym: unbreakable (indirect, via breakable)
- delicate, soft - easily hurt; "soft hands"; "a baby's delicate skin"
Antonyms: tough, toughened (indirect, via tender)
- finespun, delicate - developed with extreme delicacy and subtlety; "the satire touches with finespun ridicule every kind of human pretense"
Antonym: unrefined (indirect, via refined)
- delicate, ticklish - difficult to handle; requiring great tact; "delicate negotiations with the big powers"; "hesitates to be explicit on so ticklish a matter"
Antonym: easy (indirect, via difficult)
- delicate - of an instrument or device; capable of registering minute differences or changes precisely; "almost undetectable with even the most delicate instruments"
Antonym: insensitive (indirect, via sensitive)