Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun stopper has 4 senses
- plug, stopper, stopple - blockage consisting of an object designed to fill a hole tightly
--1 is a kind of blockage, block, closure, occlusion, stop, stoppage
--1 has particulars:
- show-stopper, showstopper, stopper - an act so striking or impressive that the show must be delayed until the audience quiets down
--2 is a kind of act, routine, number, turn, bit
- conversation stopper, stopper - a remark to which there is no polite conversational reply
--3 is a kind of remark, comment
- stopper - (bridge) a playing card with a value sufficiently high to insure taking a trick in a particular suit; "if my partner has a spade stopper I can bid no trump"
--4 is a kind of playing card
Verb stopper has 1 sense
- stopper, stopple - close or secure with or as if with a stopper; "She stoppered the wine bottle"; "The mothers stoppered their babies' mouths with pacifiers"
--1 is one way to plug, stop up, secure
Somebody ----s something