Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective quivering has 1 sense
- quaking, quivering, shaking, shaky, shivering, trembling - vibrating slightly and irregularly; as e.g. with fear or cold or like the leaves of an aspen in a breeze; "a quaking bog"; "the quaking child asked for more"; "quivering leaves of a poplar tree"; "with shaking knees"; "seemed shaky on her feet"; "sparkling light from the shivering crystals of the chandelier"; "trembling hands"
Antonym: steady (indirect, via unsteady)
Noun quivering has 2 senses
- shaking, shakiness, trembling, quiver, quivering, vibration, palpitation - a shaky motion; "the shaking of his fingers as he lit his pipe"
--1 is a kind of motion
--1 has particulars: tremolo; tremor
- vibration, quiver, quivering - the act of vibrating
--2 is a kind of motion, movement, move, motility
--2 has particulars: tremor, shudder
Verb quiver has 3 senses
- quiver, quake, palpitate - shake with fast, tremulous movements; "His nostrils palpitated"
--1 is one way to tremble
- flicker, waver, flitter, flutter, quiver - move back and forth very rapidly; "the candle flickered"
--2 is one way to move back and forth
The crowds quiver in the streets
The streets quiver with crowds
- pulsate, beat, quiver - move with or as if with a regular alternating motion; "the city pulsated with music and excitement"
--3 is one way to move