Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun occasion has 5 senses
- juncture, occasion - an event that occurs at a critical time; "at such junctures he always had an impulse to leave"; "it was needed only on special occasions"
--1 is a kind of business; happening, occurrence, natural event; business; happening, occurrence, natural event
--1 has particulars:
- affair, occasion, social occasion, function, social function - a vaguely specified social event; "the party was quite an affair"; "an occasion arranged to honor the president"; "a seemingly endless round of social functions"
--2 is a kind of social event; social event
--2 has particulars:
- occasion - reason; "there was no occasion for complaint"
--3 is a kind of reason, ground; reason, ground
- occasion - the time of a particular event; "on the occasion of his 60th birthday"
--4 is a kind of time; time
--4 has particulars: meal
- occasion - an opportunity to do something; "there was never an occasion for her to demonstrate her skill"
--5 is a kind of opportunity, chance; opportunity, chance
--5 has particulars: sale, cut-rate sale, sales event