Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective chance has 1 sense
- accidental, casual, chance - occurring or appearing or singled out by chance; "their accidental meeting led to a renewal of their friendship"; "seek help from casual passers-by"; "a casual meeting"; "a chance occurrence"
Antonym: planned (indirect, via unplanned)
Noun chance has 4 senses
- opportunity, chance - a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances; "the holiday gave us the opportunity to visit Washington"; "now is your chance"
--1 is a kind of possibility, possibleness
--1 has particulars:
- luck, fortune, chance, hazard - an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another; "bad luck caused his downfall"; "we ran into each other by pure chance"
--2 is a kind of phenomenon
--2 has particulars:
- chance - a risk involving danger; "you take a chance when you let her drive"
--3 is a kind of risk, peril, danger
- probability, chance - a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; "what is the probability of rain?"; "we have a good chance of winning"
--4 is a kind of measure, quantity, amount
--4 has particulars:
Verb chance has 3 senses
- chance - be the case by chance; "I chanced to meet my old friend in the street"
--1 is one way to happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place
- gamble, chance, risk, hazard, take chances, adventure, run a risk, take a chance - take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome; "When you buy these stocks you are gambling"
--2 is one way to try, seek, attempt, essay, assay
Somebody ----s that CLAUSE
- find, happen, chance, bump, encounter - come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
Somebody ----s something