Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective upright has 5 senses
- upright, unsloped - in a vertical position; not sloping; "an upright post"
Antonym: inclined (indirect, via horizontal, vertical)
Antonym: horizontal (indirect, via vertical, inclined)
- good, just, upright, virtuous - of moral excellence; "a genuinely good person"; "a just cause"; "an upright and respectable man"; "the life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous"- Frederick Douglass
Antonym: unrighteous (indirect, via righteous)
- straight, unbent, unbowed, upright - erect in posture; "behind him sat old man Arthur; he was straight with something angry in his attitude"; "stood defiantly with unbowed back"
Antonym: unerect (indirect, via erect)
- standing, upright - maintaining an erect position; "standing timber"; "many buildings were still standing"
- erect, vertical, upright - upright in position or posture; "an erect stature"; "erect flower stalks"; "for a dog, an erect tail indicates aggression"; "a column still vertical amid the ruins"; "he sat bolt upright"