Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun hint has 5 senses
- hint, intimation, breath - an indirect suggestion; "not a breath of scandal ever touched her"
--1 is a kind of suggestion, proposition, proffer
- hint, clue - a slight indication
--2 is a kind of indication, indicant
- touch, hint, tinge, mite, pinch, jot, speck, soupcon - a slight but appreciable addition; "this dish could use a touch of garlic"
--3 is a kind of small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount
--3 has particulars: snuff
- trace, hint, suggestion - a just detectable amount; "he speaks French with a trace of an accent"
--4 is a kind of small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount
--4 has particulars: spark
- tip, lead, steer, confidential information, wind, hint - an indication of potential opportunity; "he got a tip on the stock market"; "a good lead for a job"
--5 is a kind of guidance, counsel, counseling, counselling, direction
Verb hint has 1 sense
- hint, suggest - drop a hint; intimate by a hint
--1 is one way to convey, impart
They hint that there was a traffic accident