Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective grey has 5 senses
- gray, grey, grayish, greyish - an achromatic color of any lightness between the extremes of black and white; "gray flannel suit"; "hair just turning gray"
Antonym: chromatic (indirect, via achromatic)
- gray, grey, gray-haired, grey-haired, gray-headed, grey-headed, grizzly, hoar, hoary, white-haired - showing characteristics of age, especially having gray or white hair; "whose beard with age is hoar"-Coleridge; "nodded his hoary head"
Antonyms: young, immature (indirect, via old)
- gray, grey - used to signify the Confederate forces in the Civil War (who wore gray uniforms); "a stalwart gray figure"
Antonym: northern (indirect, via southern)
- gray, grey - intermediate in character or position; "a gray area between clearly legal and strictly illegal"
Antonym: first (indirect, via last, intermediate)
Antonym: last (indirect, via intermediate, first)
- dull, gray, grey, leaden - darkened with overcast; "a dark day"; "a dull sky"; "a gray rainy afternoon"; "gray clouds"; "the sky was leaden and thick"
Antonym: clear (indirect, via cloudy)
Noun grey has 6 senses
- Grey, Zane Grey - United States writer of western adventure novels (1875-1939)
--1 is a kind of writer, author
- Grey, Lady Jane Grey - Queen of England for nine days in 1553; she was quickly replaced by Mary Tudor and beheaded for treason (1537-1554)
--2 is a kind of Queen of England
--2 is a member of Tudor, House of Tudor
- Grey, Charles Grey, Second Earl Grey - Englishman who as Prime minister implemented social reforms including the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire (1764-1845)
--3 is a kind of statesman, solon, national leader
- gray, grey - any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are gray; "the Confederate army was a vast gray"
--4 is a kind of organization, organisation
--4 has particulars: Confederate Army, Army of the Confederacy
- gray, grayness, grey, greyness - a neutral achromatic color midway between white and black
--5 is a kind of achromatic color, achromatic colour
--5 has particulars:
| ||ash gray, ash grey, silver, silver gray, silver grey; charcoal, charcoal gray, charcoal grey, oxford gray, oxford grey; dapple-gray, dapple-grey, dappled-gray, dappled-grey; iron-gray, iron-grey; tattletale gray, tattletale grey; iron blue, steel gray, Davy's gray|
- gray, grey - gray clothing; "he was dressed in gray"
--6 is a kind of clothing, article of clothing, vesture, wear
Verb grey has 2 senses
- gray, grey - make gray; "The painter decided to grey the sky"
--1 is one way to color, colorize, colorise, colourise, colourize, colour, color in, colour in
Somebody ----s something
Something ----s something
- gray, grey - turn gray; "Her hair began to gray"
--2 is one way to discolor, discolour, colour, color