Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun example has 6 senses
- example, illustration, instance, representative - an item of information that is representative of a type; "this patient provides a typical example of the syndrome"; "there is an example on page 10"
--1 is a kind of information
--1 has particulars:
- model, example - a representative form or pattern; "I profited from his example"
--2 is a kind of representation, mental representation, internal representation
--2 has particulars:
- exemplar, example, model, good example - something to be imitated; "an exemplar of success"; "a model of clarity"; "he is the very model of a modern major general"
--3 is a kind of ideal
--3 has particulars:
- example, deterrent example, lesson, object lesson - punishment intended as a warning to others; "they decided to make an example of him"
--4 is a kind of admonition, monition, warning, word of advice
- case, instance, example - an occurrence of something; "it was a case of bad judgment"; "another instance occurred yesterday"; "but there is always the famous example of the Smiths"
--5 is a kind of happening, occurrence, natural event
--5 has particulars:
- exercise, example - a task performed or problem solved in order to develop skill or understanding; "you must work the examples at the end of each chapter in the textbook"
--6 is a kind of lesson