Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun school has 7 senses
- school - an educational institution; "the school was founded in 1900"
--1 is a kind of educational institution
--1 has members: staff, faculty; schoolteacher, school teacher
--1 has particulars:
| ||academy; correspondence school; crammer; dancing school; direct-grant school; driving school; finishing school; flying school; graduate school, grad school; language school; nursing school, school of nursing; religious school; riding school; secondary school, lyceum, lycee, Gymnasium, middle school; secretarial school; technical school, tech; training school; veterinary school; conservatory; alma mater; public school; private school; dance school; day school; night school; Sunday school, Sabbath school; grade school, grammar school, elementary school, primary school|
- school, schoolhouse - a building where young people receive education; "the school was built in 1932"; "he walked to school every morning"
--2 is a kind of building, edifice
--2 is a part of school system
--2 has parts: classroom, schoolroom
--2 has particulars: conservatory, conservatoire; day school
- school, schooling - the process of being formally educated at a school; "what will you do when you finish school?"
--3 is a kind of education
- school - an educational institution's faculty and students; "the school keeps parents informed"; "the whole school turned out for the game"
--4 is a kind of educational institution
- school, schooltime, school day - the period of instruction in a school; the time period when schools is in session; "stay after school"; "he didn't miss a single day of school"; "when the school day was done we would walk home together"
--5 is a kind of time period, period of time, period
--5 has parts: study hall
- school - a body of creative artists or writers or thinkers linked by a similar style or by similar teachers; "the Venetian school of painting"
--6 is a kind of body
--6 has particulars:
- school, shoal - a large group of fish; "a school of small glittering fish swam by"
--7 is a kind of animal group
--7 has members: fish