Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun disturbance has 7 senses
- perturbation, disturbance - activity that is an intrusion or interruption; "he looked around for the source of the disturbance"; "there was a disturbance of neural function"
--1 is a kind of activity
--1 has particulars: fuss, trouble, bother, hassle; magnetic storm
- disturbance, perturbation, upset - an unhappy and worried mental state; "there was too much anger and disturbance"; "she didn't realize the upset she caused me"
--2 is a kind of agitation
- disturbance, disruption, commotion, stir, flutter, hurly burly, to-do, hoo-ha, hoo-hah, kerfuffle - a disorderly outburst or tumult; "they were amazed by the furious disturbance they had caused"
--3 is a kind of disorder
--3 has particulars:
- affray, disturbance, fray, ruffle - a noisy fight
--4 is a kind of fight, fighting, combat, scrap
- disturbance - the act of disturbing something or someone; setting something in motion
--5 is a kind of motion, movement, move, motility
--5 has particulars:
| ||circus, carnival; disorganization, disorganisation; disruption, perturbation; commotion, din, ruction, ruckus, rumpus, tumult; furor, furore; havoc, mayhem; melee, scrimmage, battle royal; agitation, excitement, turmoil, upheaval, hullabaloo; outburst, tumultuous disturbance; rampage, violent disorder; upset, derangement, overthrow|
- mental disorder, mental disturbance, disturbance, psychological disorder, folie - (psychiatry) a psychological disorder of thought or emotion; a more neutral term than mental illness
--6 is a kind of disorder, upset
--6 has particulars:
- noise, interference, disturbance - electrical or acoustic activity that can disturb communication
--7 is a kind of trouble
--7 has particulars: