Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun come back has 2 senses
- rejoinder, retort, return, riposte, replication, comeback, counter - a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one); "it brought a sharp rejoinder from the teacher"
--1 is a kind of reply, response
--1 has particulars:
- comeback - return by a celebrity to some previously successful activity
--2 is a kind of reappearance, return
Verb come back has 5 senses
- return, go back, get back, come back - come back to place where one has been before, or return to a previous activity
--1 is one way to travel, go, move, locomote
The children come back to the playground
- come back, return - be restored; "Her old vigor returned"
--2 is one way to reappear, re-emerge
- hark back, return, come back, recall - go back to something earlier; "This harks back to a previous remark of his"
--3 is one way to denote, refer
Somebody ----s PP
- come back - even the score, in sports
--4 is one way to catch up
- retort, come back, repay, return, riposte, rejoin - answer back
--5 is one way to answer, reply, respond
Somebody ----s that CLAUSE