Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective calm has 4 senses
- calm, unagitated - not agitated; without losing self-possession; "spoke in a calm voice"; "remained calm throughout the uproar"
Antonym: discomposed (indirect, via composed)
- calm, serene, tranquil - characterized by absence of emotional agitation; "calm acceptance of the inevitable"; "remained serene in the midst of turbulence"; "a serene expression on her face"; "she became more tranquil"; "tranquil life in the country"
Antonym: unpeaceful (indirect, via peaceful)
- calm - (of weather) free from storm or wind; "calm seas"
Antonyms: stormy, angry, furious, raging, tempestuous, wild, billowy, billowing, surging, blustering, blusterous, blustery, gusty, boisterous, fierce, rough, blowy, breezy, windy, choppy, dirty, squally, thundery
- calm - marked by freedom from agitation or excitement; "the rioters gradually became calm and slowly dispersed"
Antonym: agitated (indirect, via unagitated)
Noun calm has 1 sense
- composure, calm, calmness, equanimity - steadiness of mind under stress; "he accepted their problems with composure and she with equanimity"
--1 is a kind of disposition, temperament
--1 has particulars:
Verb calm has 4 senses
- calm, calm down, quiet, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, quieten, lull, still - make calm or still; "quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
--1 is one way to comfort, soothe, console, solace
Antonyms: agitate, rouse, turn on, charge, commove, excite, charge up
The performance is likely to calm Sue
- steady, calm, becalm - make steady; "steady yourself"
--2 is one way to stabilize, stabilise
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
Something ----s something
- calm, calm down, cool off, chill out, simmer down, settle down, cool it - become quiet or calm, especially after a state of agitation; "After the fight both men need to cool off."; "It took a while after the baby was born for things to settle down again."
--3 is one way to change state, turn
- sedate, calm, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise - cause to be calm or quiet as by administering a sedative to; "The patient must be sedated before the operation"
--4 is one way to affect
Somebody ----s somebody