Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective cool has 6 senses
- cool - neither warm or very cold; giving relief from heat; "a cool autumn day"; "a cool room"; "cool summer dresses"; "cool drinks"; "a cool breeze"
Antonyms: warm, lukewarm, tepid, warmed, warming
- cool, coolheaded, nerveless - marked by calm self-control (especially in trying circumstances); unemotional; "play it cool"; "keep cool"; "stayed coolheaded in the crisis"; "the most nerveless winner in the history of the tournament"
Antonym: discomposed (indirect, via composed)
- cool - (color) inducing the impression of coolness; used especially of greens and blues and violets; "cool greens and blues and violets"
Antonyms: warm, hot
- cool - psychologically cool and unenthusiastic; unfriendly or unresponsive or showing dislike; "relations were cool and polite"; "a cool reception"; "cool to the idea of higher taxes"
Antonyms: warm, cordial, hearty
- cool - used of a number or sum and meaning without exaggeration or qualification; "a cool million bucks"
Antonym: qualified (indirect, via unqualified)
- cool - fashionable and attractive at the time; often skilled or socially adept; "he's a cool dude"; "that's cool"; "Mary's dress is really cool"; "it's not cool to arrive at a party too early"
Antonyms: unfashionable, unstylish (indirect, via fashionable)
Noun cool has 2 senses
- cool - the quality of being cool; "the cool of early morning"
--1 is a kind of coldness, cold, low temperature
- aplomb, assuredness, cool, poise, sang-froid - great coolness and composure under strain; "keep your cool"
--2 is a kind of composure, calm, calmness, equanimity
Verb cool has 3 senses
- cool, chill, cool down - make cool or cooler; "Chill the food"
--1 is one way to change, alter, modify
Antonyms: heat, heat up
They cool the water
- cool, chill, cool down - loose heat; "The air cooled considerably after the thunderstorm"
--2 is one way to change state, turn
Antonyms: heat, hot up, heat up
The water cools
- cool, cool off, cool down - lose intensity; "His enthusiasm cooled considerably"
--3 is one way to change