Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun aid has 4 senses
- aid, assistance, help - a resource; "visual aids in teaching"; "economic assistance to depressed areas"
--1 is a kind of resource
- aid, assist, assistance, help - the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose; "he gave me an assist with the housework"; "could not walk without assistance"; "rescue party went to their aid"; "offered his help in unloading"
--2 is a kind of activity
--2 has particulars:
- aid, economic aid - a gift of money to support a worthy person or cause
--3 is a kind of gift
--3 has particulars:
- care, attention, aid, tending - the work of caring for or attending to someone or something; "no medical care was required"; "the old car needed constant attention"
--4 is a kind of work
--4 has particulars:
Verb aid has 2 senses
- help, assist, aid - give help or assistance; be of service; "Everyone helped out during the earthquake"; "Can you help me carry this table?"; "She never helps around the house"
--1 is one way to support, back up
Sam cannot aid Sue
- help, aid - improve the condition of; "These pills will help the patient"
--2 is one way to better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody