Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun win has 2 senses
- win - a victory (as in a race or other competition); "he was happy to get the win"
--1 is a kind of victory, triumph
--1 has particulars: first-place finish
- winnings, win, profits - something won (especially money)
--2 is a kind of financial gain
Verb win has 4 senses
- win - be the winner in a contest or competition; be victorious; "He won the Gold Medal in skating"; "Our home team won"; "Win the game"
- acquire, win, gain - win something through one's efforts; "I acquired a passing knowledge of Chinese"; "Gain an understanding of international finance"
--2 is one way to get, acquire
They win the money
- gain, advance, win, pull ahead, make headway, get ahead, gain ground - obtain advantages, such as points, etc.; "The home team was gaining ground"; "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"
- succeed, win, come through, bring home the bacon, deliver the goods - attain success or reach a desired goal; "The enterprise succeeded"; "We succeeded in getting tickets to the show"; "she struggled to overcome her handicap and won"
Somebody ----s PP
Somebody ----s to INFINITIVE