Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective utter has 2 senses
- arrant, complete, consummate, double-dyed, everlasting, gross, perfect, pure, sodding, stark, staring, thoroughgoing, utter - without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers; "an arrant fool"; "a complete coward"; "a consummate fool"; "a double-dyed villain"; "gross negligence"; "a perfect idiot"; "pure folly"; "what a sodding mess"; "stark staring mad"; "a thoroughgoing villain"; "utter nonsense"
Antonym: mitigated (indirect, via unmitigated)
- dead, utter - total; "dead silence"; "utter seriousness"
Antonym: relative (indirect, via absolute)
Noun utterer has 3 senses
- utterer, vocalizer, vocaliser - an organism that can utter vocal sounds; "an utterer of foul oaths"; "is the giraffe a vocalizer?"
--1 is a kind of organism, being
- utterer - someone who circulates forged banknotes or counterfeit coins
--2 is a kind of deceiver, cheat, cheater, trickster, beguiler, slicker
- speaker, talker, utterer, verbalizer, verbaliser - someone who expresses in language; someone who talks (especially someone who delivers a public speech or someone especially garrulous); "the speaker at commencement"; "an utterer of useful maxims"
--3 is a kind of articulator
--3 has particulars:
| ||alliterator; caller, caller-up, phoner, telephoner; chatterer, babbler, prater, chatterbox, magpie, spouter; conversationalist, schmoozer; dictator; drawler; driveller, jabberer; ejaculator; growler; inquirer, enquirer, questioner, querier, asker; lecturer; lisper; mentioner; motormouth; mutterer, mumbler; narrator, storyteller, teller; orator, speechmaker, rhetorician, public speaker, speechifier; prattler; ranter, raver; reciter; native speaker; stammerer, stutterer; stentor; talking head; venter; vociferator; voicer; wailer; whisperer; witness, witnesser, informant|